Thursday, April 12, 2012

Some of my favorite things...Spring has sprung!

Even though we have had a little late cold burst, which if you have lived in Louisville long, you know is pretty normal... Spring has sprung for sure.  Around the city you can see preparations beginning for the infamous Kentucky Derby. The Triple Crown of Running has been completed. The barricades are still sitting around town, because the Kentucky Derby Mini Marathon and Marathon will be run on April 28th. Everyone in the city has a spring in their step and it seems like Christmas as everyone is in a great mood, enjoying the festivities that will be going on leading up to the Derby race itself. To me, this is one of my favorite times of the whole year! I'll probably be posting more on Derby as events start taking place. Again... My FAVORITE time of the year!

The Derby is just one sure sign of spring!  Starting this weekend you will also find some of the farmer's markets popping up all over town. One of my favorites is Douglas Loop Market. They actually just closed their indoor winter market a couple weeks ago. The farmers there are awesome. On a beautiful day they will be bursting with people seeking everything from herbs, fresh baked EVERYTHING, to the weeks bountiful crops. My goal this year is to try one new item at least every two weeks (a goal I set only because I realistically know life can get in the way).

If you can't make it to the farmer's markets the I highly suggest you go meet Ron at The Root Cellar, a small market providing Old Louisville with locally grown produce, meats, eggs, dairy and more! He has provided me many great treats during the winter months. I recently got some Ramps (click for more info) from him. Ramps are wild leeks, like green onions but with a hint of garlic. I had no idea what to do with them. So I stored them best I could hoping they would stay good until I could do something with them... Well last night I had salmon patties and instead of onion I used a few of the Ramps. Wow! What an awesome flavor... little garlic, little spicy onion. I loved it. He has a link on his Facebook page for Ramps and wild leeks. Can't wait to try more! Be sure to stop by and check his store out! You will not be sorry you did!

Beach on Market Street in the NULU District!
Another fun thing to do this Saturday will be The Flea off Market! This is a monthly market held in the NULU district at Shelby and Market Streets. The food trucks will be out in full force (and if you have never eaten from a food truck, you don't know what you are missing). You will find everything from the typical flea market used items to new items made from old items. My kinda place. There will be many local shops represented! It is supposed to be beautiful this weekend so take a few and stop by. The NULU district is fast becoming one of my favorite spots to hang. I mean heck, they even brought the beach to Louisville! How can you not love this place?

No comments:

Post a Comment