Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Creative Reuse: My Story


Creative reuse is the process of taking used or recycled materials and turning them into creative pieces of art, home decoration, or other useful items. (Wikipedia)

Upcycle, Recycle, Reuse... All words associated with taking various materials and giving new life to them. I first started 'upcycling' a few years ago when I started sewing. I had this really cute skort given to me by my Mother-In-Law. It was not really something I would wear. It had Toucans and Parrots on it. Just not my style. But I held on to it for some reason. During a cleaning session at the house I tossed it into my sewing room. I decided it was too pretty to be given away and possibly thrown away. 



I carefully ripped the seams, saving everything I could, including the zipper. I searched online for a purse pattern that would work for the amount of material I had. I cut and sewed, and ripped and resewed (remember, I was still teaching myself how to sew). Finally, I had created a purse and it was pretty impressive for my first one, especially for being made from upcycled material. I returned it to my MIL who loved it and was excited to see one of her favorite pieces of clothing able to live on.


I have crafted many purses and totes from old t-shirts, skirts and jeans. I also turned sweater sleeves into boot socks, old vinyl albums into bowls and attempted fusing plastic bags together so I could use them in various ways, but not had much success with that yet. Think it is the iron, couldn't be the user. ;)

During all this I have found a passion for making sure things find a second (third, fourth, etc.) life. I have also found a love of FreeCycle and the free and the Arts & Crafts sections of Craigslist. I have gotten quite a few things from both to use in various ways and I have also given scrap, extra thread, fabric, etc. away to teachers and other artist. While doing this somehow I came across creative reuse centers online. 

I believe the first one was SCRAP in San Francisco. I started following them on Facebook. I loved the concept. A store that served teachers, artists and the city with what they did. They collect donations from manufacturers and public, much like a Goodwill does, except these items are for reuse in art. 

During more research I found SCRAP PDX in Portland, Oregon. They also have sister stores in D.C.Denton, TX, and Traverse City, Michigan. This is when I decided that I really would love to have one of these type stores right here in Louisville. I have communicated with the Director in Portland and the Co-Directors in DC. They have been helpful in getting me pointed in the right direction. I am currently working up a plan and looking for people who would like to make this a reality!  Keep a look out, as I plan to post my journey through this winding path of trying to make this happen. 

If you are interested in helping out, please feel free to contact me via my email, sewfrugalscrap@gmail.com.  Hope you enjoy watching as I run through the trials, tribulations and I'm sure a few tears along the way and even better yet, I hope you will get involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment