Friday, February 24, 2012

How did Sew Frugal Scrap originate?


About a year ago I started a business, Wilygreenhorn, that offered new and upcycled bags (purses, totes, etc.), custom made diaper bags, personalized key fobs and various embroidered gifts. All this items actually evolved over time, as it was just diaper bags and bags when it started. Though the embroidery was a good business, it didn't seem to fulfill my create needs like the purses and other bags did, especially the upcycled ones. Towards the end of the year, I took a step back and decided I needed to get back to why I started the business in the first place. I took a lot of time to write out and plan where I wanted the business to be in a year, two years, five years. I decided that the embroidered gifts had to go. I still offer the key fobs, especially as fund raisers for various groups. And I love making the diaper bags. But my main focus this year is going to be purses, totes, bags, both new and upcycled, along with other various upcycled/recycled items, like memory throws, reusing vinyl records in various projects, and where ever else my creativity seems to flow.

The frugal part came about from a necessity partly; living on my own for the first time in my life. But I have always been pretty frugal, looking for the best deals, coupons galore, and I love freebies I can get in the mail. But in 2012 I have made it a goal to buy nothing new, with the exception of a few things like undergarments and socks, but only when needed! No new clothes, household items, etc. If I need something, I have to first see if I can borrow it (books, dvd’s, tools, etc.). Then if that doesn’t seem to work/fit then I go through this list, in order:
  • Can I make it from items I already have on hand?
  • Can I make it from used items I can buy or get free?
  • Can I get it on Freecycle or the free Craigslist category?
  • Can I find it in a charity thrift store?
  • Can I buy it from Craigslist?
  • Can I buy it at a flea market or Peddler’s mall?
  • Can I buy it at a locally owned small business? First a consignment store, then if all else fails new from a local shop.

I currently attempt to buy most of my food from local sources, like farmer’s markets, locally owned stores, but I am still attempting to be frugal at the same time, so there are still quite a few items I get at the chain, Kroger, because I love my coupons and find awesome deals. I am also cooking more from scratch. So forgive me on this one, but my top goal is to save as much money as I can!

Granted, so far I haven’t always been great at following this, but 95% of the time I do and I know that I’m saving money and helping local charities and people/businesses in the long run.

From these two things, Sewing and Frugality, I have come across an idea that I think is very much needed in the Louisville area. I dream of opening a Scrap Reuse Center in the next year!  This is a non-profit that collects items that can be reused in art projects and office supplies. It will allow art teachers a way to save on their budgets that are being cut every day; allow reuse artists to get materials cheaply, display and sell their work (art showings and a retail boutique) and share their skills with classes and workshops for the Tinkerer’s, like me. It would serve the community by sharing the benefits of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, through public initiatives in schools, speakers, classes and workshops.

Through this blog I hope to gain champions who would love to get involved, keep the locals updated and add the value of accountability by posting publicly my thoughts, ideas, goals and milestones.


I am open to suggestions, thoughts, ideas and especially your own DIY creations! So feel free to email me at SewFrugalScrap@gmail.com with all of them! Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment